« K&L 2009 Spirit of the Year: Carpano Antica | Main | Books on Whiskey and Other Booze »

Distillery of the Day! (and other news)


Know your Speyside distilleries!  Today's featured producer is Linkwood, an active distillery that only bottles 1-2% of its production for single malt consumption.  The other 98% goes to blends like Johnnie Walker, White Horse, and Abbot's Choice.  Linkwood's incredible fruity and floral whisky is so carefully guarded that former distillery manager Roderick Mackenzie was prohibited from changing a single thing when he took over - even spider webs - for fear that it would adversely alter the whisky.  Linkwood produces roughly 2,600,000 liters of whisky a year, but you'll rarely ever see a bottle.  Diageo, who owns the distillery, will be releasing a Manager's Choice bottling of 1996 Linkwood soon, but you'll be paying a minimum of $500 if you can even find one.  Luckily, my good friends at JVS have a bottle that is currently only being distributed in California and it's delicious:

1995 Linkwood Signatory Single Malt Whisky $69.99

It is an unchillfiltered, fruity, fragrant, and tasty single malt delight that really tastes like no other whisky I've ever had.  So if you're looking for a unique tasting experience, you know where to go.  That's it for your distillery of the day.

In other news, I've been in talks lately with Martin's West pub in Redwood City and we have January 27th as the tentative date for our first single malt whisky tasting.  It will likely feature Highland and Speyside malts as we begin the first in a series of tastings, starting with the lighter styles and building up to the powerful ones.  Not sure what the cost will be but I'm estimating around $35 for a bunch of booze, information, and hors d' oeuvres.  More info to come as we get this thing organized.

- David Driscoll

References (7)

References allow you to track sources for this article, as well as articles that were written in response to this article.

Reader Comments (3)

So good! I like it very much,but If you can add more video and pictures can be much better, I have never read such a lovely article and I am coming back tomorrow to continue case

March 25, 2011 | Unregistered Commenterbosh

What you need to do is to pick an authorized site to make your purchase from.
The only Authorized ugg boots clearance site. Shop cheap ugg boots for chrismas gift now,free shiping and no sale tax.

December 15, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterUgg Boots Clearance

The people whose skin are white can wear bright shirts. A jacekt bought from north face jackets sale can be worn out for about 5-6 years even you wear it everyday and climb the peak once a week. The north face coats are designed in support of numerous critical enviromental challenges, just like for example severe freezing weather.

PostPost a New Comment

Enter your information below to add a new comment.

My response is on my own website »
Author Email (optional):
Author URL (optional):
Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <code> <em> <i> <strike> <strong>